Thursday, January 12, 2012

Natural Tie Dye

The kids & I had a lot of fun upcycling old t-shirts into new unpaper towels for the kitchen.  Knowing that they are going to be stained, thought it was best to die the new towels.  Over on Miss Sews-it-all, there were great directions on how to turn old t-shirts that are past wearable usage and turn them into wipe ups.  Since I was starting with XXL shirts and I don't usually use really big paper towels now, I decided to make make my wipes smaller.  Most of them were 9x9 and I was able to get 4 wipes per shirt.

With a few extra shirts left over, I took this opportunity to show  the kids that fabric can be colored using natural ingredients that we have here in the house.  We used directions from Itty Bitty Impact to dye the "new" wipes and extra shirts.  Using turmeric and coffee grounds, they turned out awesome shade of yellow!